know before you go
Have the right permit
- Ensure you have the right hunting permit before heading into Te Urewera.See Permission for Hunting and Permission for Hunting with Pig Dogs to apply. Permits applied for prior to lockdown that have not expired are still valid. Te Urewera Board has permitted an extra 100 permits for the next two weeks, followed by a review.
- Due to COVID-19, TUT planned delivery of Kiwi Aversion Training was cancelled this year, only those with current valid avian aversion certificates can apply for a pig hunting permit.
- Pig dog permits can only be issued from Te Uru Taumatua and the Waikaremoana office. These premises will reopen on Monday 18 May. Ring us first to arrange a day and time to bring your dog in, bookings essential.
- At bookable huts numbers are limited to no more than 10. Come prepared to self-sufficiently camp out (if there are others in the hut, and you cant social distance).
- Be prepared to self-sufficiently camp out, especially at non-bookable huts.
- BYO antiviral disinfectant, soap/sanitizer, and cleaning equipment.
- Clean surfaces of all facilities when you arrive and when you leave. Clean any shared surfaces regularly. Pack-out used cleaning materials.
- Use an antiviral disinfectant and follow the instructions. Surfaces will need about 10 seconds soaking with the disinfectant for it to work.
Good disinfectants to look out for are things that contain hypochlorite (which is the main active ingredient in bleach) or activated hydrogen peroxide (0.5%). Others may contain benzalkonium chloride, though some studies have shown this is less effective against coronaviruses. You could also just use conventional bleach (at 0.1-0.2% available chlorine check the back of your bottle) in water. Or use ethanol, isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits. All of these are toxic to the environment so pack-out all materials including paper towels. Be mindful of what kind of surface you are disinfecting though. Please follow any instructions, and definitely don’t mix disinfectants together as you could end up with all sorts of dangerous chemical reactions happening.